D Banan, RE Paul, MJ Feldman, M Holmes, H Schlake, H Jiang, I Baxter, ADB Leakey (in review at Plant Physiology) High fidelity detection of QTL hotspots for crop biomass production from low cost imaging in the field. [preprint available at BioRXiv http://biorxiv.org/content/early/2017/06/14/150144].
P Wang, E Marsh, EA Ainsworth, ADB Leakey, D Schachtman (in review at Scientific Reports) Shifts in microbial diversity in agricultural soils, rhizosphere and roots in two major cropping systems under elevated CO2 and O3.
Book Chapters & Articles in Journals (in print or accepted)
67. Z Jin, EA Ainsworth, ADB Leakey, DB Lobell (in press) Increasing drought will diminish the benefits of elevated carbon dioxide for soybean yields across the US Midwest. Global Change Biology.
66. CR Yendrek, G Erice, CM Montes, T Tomaz, C Sorgini, PJ Brown, LM McIntyre, ADB Leakey, EA Ainsworth (in press) Elevated ozone reduces photosynthetic carbon gain by accelerating leaf senescence of inbred and hybrid maize in a genotype-specific manner. Plant Cell & Environment [preprint available at BioRXiv http://biorxiv.org/content/early/2017/06/23/154104].
65. MJ Feldman, RE Paul, D Banan, JF Barrett, J Sebastian, MC Yee, H Jiang, AE Lipka, TP Brutnell, JR Dinneny, ADB Leakey, I Baxter (2017) Time dependent genetic analysis links field and controlled environment phenotypes in the model C4 grass Setaria. PLoS Genetics 13(6): e1006841.
64. KJ Wolz, TM Wertin, M Abordo, D Wang, ADB Leakey (2017) Variation in stomatal function is integral to modeling plant carbon and water fluxes. Nature Ecology & Evolution 1:1292-1298
63. A Rogers, BE Medlyn, JS Dukes, G Bonan, S von Caemmerer, MC Dietze, J Kattge, ADB Leakey, LM Mercado, U Niinemets, IC Prentice, SP Serbin, S Sitch, DA Way, S Zaehle (2017) A roadmap for improving the representation of photosynthesis in Earth system models. New Phytologist 213:22-42.
62. CR Yendrek, T Tomaz, CM Montes, Y Cao, AM Morse, PJ Brown, LM McIntyre, ADB Leakey, EA Ainsworth (2017) High-throughput phenotyping of maize leaf physiological and biochemical traits using hyperspectral reflectance. Plant Physiology 173:614-626.
61. SB Gray, O Dermody, SP Klein, AM Locke, JM McGrath, RE Paul, DM Rosenthal, UM Ruiz-Vera, MH Siebers, R Strellner, EA Ainsworth, CJ Bernacchi, SP Long, DR Ort, ADB Leakey (2016) Intensifying drought eliminates the expected benefits of elevated [CO2] for soybean. Nature Plants doi:10.1038/nplants.2016.132
60. H Flores-Moreno, PB Reich, EM Lind, LL Sullivan, EW Seabloom, L Yahdjian, AS MacDougall, L Reichmann, J Alberti, S Baez, JD Bakker, MW Cadotte, MC Caldeira, EJ Chaneton, C D’Antoniio, PA Fay, J Firn, N Hagenah, WS Harpole, O Iribarne, KP Kirkman, JMH Knops, KJ La Pierre, R Laungani, ADB Leakey, RL McCulley, JL Moore, J Pascual, ET Borer (2016) Climate modifies response of non-native and native species richness to nutrient enrichment. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society B 371(1694):20150273.
59. RJ Webster, SM Driever, J Krondijk, J McGrath, ADB Leakey, K Siebke, T Demetriades-Shah, S Bonnage, T Peloe, T Lawson, SP Long (2016) High C3 photosynthetic capacity and high intrinsic water use efficiency underlies the high productivity of the bioenergy grass Arundo donax. Scientific Reports 6:20694.
58. LH Dietterich, A Zanobetti, I Kloog, P Huybers, ADB Leakey, AJ Bloom, E Carlisle, N Fernando, G Fitzgerald, T Hasegawa, NM Holbrook, RL Nelson, R Norton, MJ Ottman, V Raboy, H Sakai, KA Sartor, J Schwartz, S Seneweera, Y Usui, S Yoshinaga, SS Myers (2015) Impacts of elevated atmospheric CO2 on nutrient content of important food crops. Scientific Data 2:150036, 10.1038/sdata.2015.36
57. SH Siebers, CR Yendrek, D Drag, AM Locke, L Rios Acosta, ADB Leakey, EA Ainsworth, CJ Bernacchi, DR Ort (2015) Heat waves imposed during early pod development in soybean (Glycine max) cause significant yield loss despite a rapid recovery from oxidative stress. Global Change Biology 21:3114-3125.
56. D Wang, D Jaiswal, DS LeBauer, TM Wertin, ADB Leakey, SP Long (2015) A physiological and biophysical model of coppice willow (Salix spp.) production and predicted yields for the contiguous USA in current and future climate scenarios. Plant, Cell & Environment 38:1850-1865.
55. R Bailey, TG Benton, A Challinor, J Elliott, D Gustafson, B Hiller, A Jones, M Jahn, C Kent, K Lewis, T Meacham, M Rivington, D Robson, R Tiffin, D Wuebbles, J Beghin, J Buttriss, R Bhunnoo, C Brown, K Carlson, E Chavez, N deVore, K Donaldson, R Douglas, G Friend, O Gray, J Gulledge, J Hjelle, J Horrell, K Huddah, D Krohn, ADB Leakey, M Levy, V Loughlan, B Phillipson, G Prpich, S Robinson, S Sharpe, L Stanbrough, J Westwood (2015) Extreme weather and resilience of the global food system. Final Project Report from the UK-US Taskforce on Extreme Weather and Global Food System Resilience, The Global Food Security programme, UK.
54. ADB Leakey (2014) The Anthropocene: Plants in a New Environmental Domain. In: The Plant Sciences. In press. Ed: RK Monson. Springer. DOI 10.1007/978-1-4614-7612-2_6_1
53. KA Bishop, ADB Leakey, EA Ainsworth (2014) Do seasonal temperature and water inputs predict the relative response of C3 crops to elevated carbon dioxide concentration? An analysis of open top chamber and Free Air CO2 Enrichment (FACE) studies. Food & Energy Security. 3:33-45.
52. SS Myers, A Zanobetti, I Kloog, P Huybers, ADB Leakey, A Bloom, E Carlisle, LH Dietterich, G Fitzgerald, T Hasegawa, NM Holbrook, RL Nelson, MJ Ottman, V Raboy, H Sakai, KA Sartor, J Schwartz, S Seneweera, M Tausz, Y Usui (2014) Rising concentration of atmospheric CO2 threatens human nutrition. Nature. 510:139-143
51. RJC Markelz, LN Vossler, ADB Leakey (2014) Developmental stage specificity of transcriptional, biochemical and CO2 efflux responses of leaf dark respiration to growth of Arabidopsis thaliana at elevated [CO2]. Plant, Cell & Environment. 37:2542-2552.
50. ET Borer, EW Seabloom, DS Gruner, WS Harpole, H Hillebrand, E Lind, PB Adler, J Alberti, TM Anderson, JD Bakker, LA Biederman, D Blumenthal, CS Brown, LA Brudvig, Y Buckley, M Cadotte, C Chu, EE Cleland, MJ Crawley, P Daleo, EI Damschen, K Davies, NM DeCrappeo, G Du, J Firn, Y Hautier, RW Heckman, A Hector, A Helm, J HilleRisLambers, O Iribarne, JA Klein, JMH Knops, KJ LA Pierre, ADB Leakey, W Li, A Macdougall, R Mcculley, B Melbourne, CE Mitchell, JL Moore, B Mortensen, LR O’Halloran, JL Orrock, J Pascul, SM Prober, DA Pyke, AC Risch, M Schuetz, MD Smith, C Stevens, L Sullivan, RJ Williams, PD Wragg, J Wright, L Yang (2014) Herbivores and nutrients control grassland plant diversity via light limitation Nature 508:517-520.
49. RJC Markelz, LX Lai, LN Vossler, ADB Leakey (2014) Transcriptional reprogramming and stimulation of leaf respiration by elevated CO2 concentration is diminished, but not eliminated, under limiting nitrogen supply. Plant, Cell & Environment 37:886-898.
48. AB Cousins, M Johnson, ADB Leakey (2014) Photosynthesis and the environment. Photosynthesis Research 119:1-2.
47. EW Seabloom, ET Borer, Y Buckley, EE Cleland, K Davies, J Firn, WS Harpole, Y Hautier, E Lind, A Macdougall, JL Orrock, SM Prober, P Adler, J Alberti, TM Anderson, JD Bakker, LA Biederman, D Blumenthal, CS Brown, LA Brudvig, M Caldeira, C Chu, MJ Crawley, P Daleo, EI Damschen, CM D’Antonio, NM DeCrappeo, CR Dickman, G Du, PA Fay, P Frater, DS Gruner, N Hagenah, A Hector, A Helm, H Hillebrand, KS Hofmockel, HC Humphries, O Iribarne, VL Jin, A Kay, KP Kirkman, JA Klein, JMH Knops, KJ LA Pierre, LM Ladwig, JG Lambrinos, ADB Leakey, Q Li, W Li, R Mcculley, B Melbourne, CE Mitchell, JL Moore, J Morgan, B Mortensen, LR O’Halloran, M Partel, J Pascul, DA Pyke, AC Risch, R Salguero-Gomez, M Sankaran, M Schuetz, A Simonsen, M Smith, C Stevens, L Sullivan, GM Wardle, EM Wolkovich, PD Wragg, J Wright, L Yang (2013) Predicting invasion in grassland ecosystems: is exotic dominance the real embarrassment of richness? Global Change Biology 19:3677-3687.
46. TE Twine, JJ Bryant, K Richter, CJ Bernacchi, K McConnaughay, S Morris, ADB Leakey (2013) Impacts of elevated CO2 concentration on the productivity and surface energy budget of the soybean and maize agroecosystem in the Midwest U.S. Global Change Biology 19:2838-2852.
45. LA Cernusak, K Winter, JW Dalling, JAM Holtum, C Jaramillo, C Korner, ADB Leakey, RJ Norby, B Poulter, BL Turner, SJ Wright (2013) Tropical forest responses to elevated [CO2]: current knowledge and opporunitties for future research. Functional Plant Biology 40:531-551.
44. MZ Hussain, A Vanloocke, MH Siebers, UM Ruiz-Vera, RJC Markelz, ADB Leakey, DR Ort, CJ Bernacchi (2013) Future carbon dioxide concentration decreases canopy evapotranspiration and soil water depletion by field-grown maize. Global Change Biology 19:1572-1584.
43. SB Gray, RS Strellner, KK Puthuval, R Shulman, MH Siebers, A Rogers, ADB Leakey (2013) Minirhizotron imaging reveals nodulation of field-grown soybean is enhanced by Free-Air CO2 Enrichment only when combined with drought stress. Functional Plant Biology 40:137-147.
42. ADB Leakey (2012) Biogeochemical cycles and the flow of energy in the earth system. Sustainability: A comprehensive foundation Eds. T Thesis and J Tomkin. Online, open source textbook - http://cnx.org/content/col11325/latest/
41. ADB Leakey, EA Ainsworth, CJ Bernacchi, X Zhu, SP Long & DR Ort (2012) Photosynthesis in a CO2 rich atmosphere. In: Photosynthesis: A Comprehensive Treatise Physiology, Biochemistry, Biophysics and Molecular Biology. Eds: JJ Eaton-Rye and BC Tripathy. Springer.
40. CL Casteel, OK Niziolek, ADB Leakey, MR Berenbaum, EH DeLucia (2012) Effects of elevated CO2 and soil water content on phytohormone transcript induction in Glycine max after Popillia japonica feeding. Environmental Entomology 6:439-447.
39. KR Walters, SI Rupassara, RJC Markelz, ADB Leakey, W Muir, BR Pittendrigh (2012) Methamphetamine causes anorexia in Drosophila melanogaster, exhausting metabolic reserves and contributing to mortality. The Journal of Toxicological Sciences 37:773-790.
38. S Vicca, AK Gilgen, S Camino,FE Dreesen, JS Dukes, M Estiarte, SB Gray, G Guidolotti, ADB Leakey, R Ogaya, DR Ort, M Ostrogovic, S Rambal J Sardans, M Schmitt, M Siebers, L van der Linden,O van Straaten, A Granier (2012) Urgent need for basic treatment data to make precipitation manipulation experiments comparable. New Phytologist 195:518-522.
37. C Decock, H Chung, R Venterea, SB Gray, ADB Leakey, J Six (2012) Elevated CO2 and O3 modify N turnover rates, but not N2O emissions in a soybean agroecosystem. Soil Biology and Biochemistry 51: 104-114.
36. ADB Leakey, KA Bishop, EA Ainsworth (2012) A multi-biome gap in understanding of crop and ecosystem responses to elevated CO2. Current Opinion in Plant Biology 15: 228-236.
35. KM Gillespie, F Xu, KT Richter, JM McGrath, RJC Markelz, DR Ort, ADB Leakey, EA Ainsworth (2012) Greater antioxidant and respiratory metabolism in field-grown soybean exposed to elevated O3 under both ambient and elevated CO2 concentrations. Plant, Cell & Environment 35: 169-184.
34. ADB Leakey, JA Lau (2012) Evolutionary context for understanding and manipulating plant responses to past, present and future atmospheric [CO2]. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society B 367: 613-629.
33. CJ Bernacchi, ADB Leakey, BA Kimball, DR Ort (2011) Growth of soybean at future tropospheric ozone concentrations decreases canopy evapotranspiration and soil water depletion. Environmental Pollution 159: 1464-1472.
32. RJC Markelz, RS Strellner, ADB Leakey (2011) Impairment of C4 photosynthesis by drought is exacerbated by limiting nitrogen and ameliorated by elevated [CO2] in maize. Journal of Experimental Botany 62:3235-3246.
31. J Firn, JL Moore, AS MacDougall, ET Borer, EW Seabloom, J HilleRisLambers, WS Harpole, EE Cleland, CS Brown, JMH Knops, SM Prober, DA Pyke, KA Farrell, JD Bakker, LR O'Halloran, PB Adler, SL Collins, CM D'Antonio, MJ Crawley, EM Wolkovich, KJ La Pierre, BA Melbourne, Y Hautier, JW Morgan, ADB Leakey, A Kay, R McCulley, KF Davies, CJ Stevens, CJ Chu, KD Holl, JA Klein, PA Fay, N Hagenah, KP Kirkman, YM Buckley (2011) Abundance of introduced species at home predicts abundance away in herbaceous communities. Ecology Letters 14: 274-281. *** This paper was highlighted on F1000***
30. U Rascher, B Biskup, ADB Leakey, JM McGrath, EA Ainsworth (2010) Altered physiological function, not structure, drives increased radiation use efficiency of soybean grown at elevated CO2. Photosynthesis Research 105: 15-25.
29. EJ Edwards, CP Osborne, CAE Stromberg, SA Smith, WJ Bond, PA Christin, AB Cousins, MR Duvall, DL Fox, RP Freckleton, O Ghannoum, J Hartwell, Y Huang, CM Janis, JE Keeley, EA Kellogg, AK Knapp, ADB Leakey, DM Nelson, BH Passey, JM Saarela, RF Sage, OE Sala, N Salamin, CJ Still, B Tipple (2010) The Origins of C4 Grasslands: Integrating Evolutionary and Ecosystem Science. Science 328: 587-591.
28. C Stohr, RG Darmody, B Wimmer, I Krapac, K Hackley, A Iranmanesh, ADB Leakey (2010) Detecting carbon dioxide emissions in soybeans by aerial thermal infrared imagery. Photogrammetric Engineering and Remote Sensing 76: 735-741.
27. C Calfapietra, EA Ainsworth, C Beier, P De Angelis, DS Ellsworth, DL Godbold, GR Hendrey, T Hickler, MR Hoosbeek, DF Karnosky, J King, C Körner, ADB Leakey, KF Lewin, M Liberloo, SP Long, M Lukac, R Matyssek, F Miglietta, J Nagy, RJ Norby, R Oren, KE Percy, A Rogers, G Scarascia Mugnozza, M Stitt, G Taylor, R Ceulemans (2010) Challenges in elevated CO2 experiments on forests. Trends in Plant Science 15: 5-10.
26. A Rogers, EA Ainsworth, ADB Leakey (2009) Will elevated carbon dioxide concentration amplify the benefits of nitrogen fixation by legumes? Plant Physiology 151: 1009-1016.
25. FG Dohleman, EA Heaton, ADB Leakey, SP Long (2009) Does greater leaf-level photosynthesis explain the larger solar energy conversion efficiency of Miscanthus relative to switchgrass? Plant, Cell & Environment 32: 1525-1537.
24. ADB Leakey, EA Ainsworth, CJ Bernacchi, A Rogers, SP Long & DR Ort (2009) Elevated CO2 effects on plant carbon, nitrogen and water relations: six important lessons from FACE. Journal of Experimental Botany 60: 2859-2876.
23. ADB Leakey (2009) Rising atmospheric carbon dioxide concentration and the future of C4 crops for food and fuel. Proceedings of the Royal Society B: Biological Sciences 276: 2333-2343.
22. ADB Leakey, EA Ainsworth, SM Bernard, RJC Markelz, DR Ort, S Placella, A Rogers, MD Smith, E Sudderth, DJ Weston, SD Wullschleger, S Yuan (2009) Gene expression profiling – opening the black box of plant ecosystem responses to global change Global Change Biology 15: 1201-1213.
21. ADB Leakey, F-Xu, K Gillespie, J McGrath, EA Ainsworth, DR Ort (2009) Genomic basis for stimulated respiration by plants growing under elevated carbon dioxide. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences 106: 3597-3602 *** This paper was highlighted on F1000***
20. QS Qiu, JL Huber, FL Booker, V Jain, ADB Leakey, EL Fiscus, PM Yau, DR Ort & SC Huber (2008) Increased protein carbonylation in leaves of Arabidopsis and soybean in response to elevated [CO2] and [O3]. Photosynthesis Research 97: 155-166.
19. P Li, EA Ainsworth, ADB Leakey, A Ulanov, V Lozovaya, DR Ort, HJ Bohnert (2008) Arabidopsis transcript and metabolite profiles: ecotype-specific responses to open-air elevated [CO2]. Plant, Cell and Environment 31: 1673-1687
18. EA Ainsworth, C Beier, C Calfapietra, R Ceulemans, M Durand-Tardif, GD Farquhar, DL Godbold, GR Hendrey, T Hickler, J Kaduk, DR Karnosky, BA Kimball, C Korner, M Koornneef, T Larfarge, ADB Leakey, KF Lewin, SP Long, R Manderscheid, DL McNeil, TA Mies, F Miglietta, JA Morgan, J Nagy, RJ Norby, RM Norton, KE Percy, A Rogers, J-F Soussana, M Stitt, H-J Weigel and JW White (2008) Next Generation of elevated [CO2] experiments with crops: a critical investment for feeding the future world. Plant, Cell and Environment 31: 1317-1324
17. EA Ainsworth, A Rogers, ADB Leakey (2008) Targets for crop biotechnology in a future high-CO2 and high-O3 world. Plant Physiology 147: 13-19. these authors contributed equally to this work. *** This paper was amongst the top 10 “most read” articles in Plant Physiology in November and December 2008 ***
16. EA Ainsworth, ADB Leakey, DR Ort, SP Long. (2008) FACE-ing the facts: Inconsistencies and interdependence among field, chamber and modeling studies of elevated [CO2] impacts on crop yield and food supply. New Phytologist 179: 1-5.
15. SD Wullschleger, ADB Leakey & SB St Clair (2007) Functional genomics and ecology – a tale of two scales. New Phytologist 176: 735-739.
14. EA Ainsworth, A Rogers, ADB Leakey, LE Heady, Y Gibon, M Stitt & U Schurr (2007) Does elevated [CO2] alter diurnal C uptake and the balance of C and N metabolites in sink and source soybean leaves? Journal of Experimental Botany 58: 579-591.
13. SP Long, EA Ainsworth, ADB Leakey, DR Ort, J Nosberger & D Schimel (2007) Crop models, CO2, and climate change – Response. Science 315: 460-460.
12. SP Long, EA Ainsworth, CJ Bernacchi, PA Davey, GJ Hymus, ADB Leakey, PB Morgan & CP Osborne (2006) Long term responses of photosynthesis and stomata to elevated [CO2] in managed systems. In: Managed ecosystems and CO2: Case studies, processes and perspectives Ed: J Nösberger et al. Ecological Studies Series. Springer Verlag, pp. 253-270.
11. DR Ort, EA Ainsworth, M Aldea, DJ Allen, CJ Bernacchi, MR Berenbaum, GA Bollero, G Cornic, PA Davey, O Dermody, FG Dohleman, JG Hamilton, EA Heaton, ADB Leakey, J Mahoney, TA Mies, PB Morgan, RL Nelson, A Rogers, AR Zangerl, X-G Zhu, EH DeLucia & SP Long (2006) SoyFACE: The effects and interactions of elevated [CO2] and [O3] on soybean. In: Managed ecosystems and CO2: Case studies, processes and perspectives Ed: J Nösberger et al. Ecological Studies Series. Springer Verlag, pp. 71-86.
10. CJ Bernacchi, ADB Leakey, LE Heady, PB Morgan, A Rogers, SP Long & DR Ort (2006) Hourly and seasonal variation in photosynthesis and stomatal conductance of soybean grown at future CO2 and ozone concentrations for three years under fully open air conditions. Plant, Cell & Environment 29: 2077-2090.
9. ADB Leakey, CJ Bernacchi, DR Ort & SP Long (2006) Long-term growth of soybean at elevated [CO2] does not cause acclimation of stomatal conductance under fully open-air conditions. Plant, Cell & Environment 29: 1794-1800.
8. SP Long, EA Ainsworth, ADB Leakey, J Nosberger & DR Ort (2006) Food for thought: Lower than expected crop yield stimulation with rising carbon dioxide concentrations. Science 312: 1918-1921.
7. ADB Leakey, M Uribelarrea, EA Ainsworth, SL Naidu, A Rogers, DR Ort & SP Long (2006) Photosynthesis, productivity and yield of Zea mays are not affected by open-air elevation of CO2 concentration in the absence of drought. Plant Physiology 140: 779-790.
6. SP Long, EA Ainsworth, ADB Leakey & PB Morgan (2005) Global food insecurity. Treatment of major food crops with elevated carbon dioxide and ozone under large-scale fully open-air conditions suggests models may seriously overestimate future yields. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society 360: 2011-2020.
5. ADB Leakey, JD Scholes & MC Press (2005) Physiological and ecological significance of sunflecks for dipterocarp seedlings. Journal of Experimental Botany 56: 469-482.
4. ADB Leakey, CJ Bernacchi, FG Dohleman, DR Ort & SP Long (2004) Will photosynthesis of maize (Zea mays) in the U.S. Corn Belt increase in future [CO2] rich atmospheres? An analysis of diurnal courses of CO2 uptake under Free-Air Concentration Enrichment (FACE). Global Change Biology 10: 951-962.
3. ADB Leakey, JD Scholes & MC Press (2003) High temperature inhibition of photosynthesis is greater under sunflecks than uniform irradiance in a tropical rain forest tree seedling. Plant, Cell & Environment 26: 1681-1690.
2. ADB Leakey, MC Press & JD Scholes (2003) Patterns of dynamic irradiance affect the photosynthetic capacity and growth of dipterocarp tree seedlings. Oecologia 135: 184-193.
1. ADB Leakey, MC Press, JD Scholes & JR Watling (2002) Relative enhancement of photosynthesis and growth at elevated CO2 is greater under sunflecks than uniform irradiance in a tropical rain forest tree seedling. Plant, Cell & Environment 25: 1701-1714.